Your doctor will want to get a history of your condition. This may begin by filling out a written form while you wait to see the doctor. Take time to think about everything that relates to your neck pain and write it down. The more information you share with your doctor, the easier your problem will be to diagnose. A physical history can give your doctor insight into when the pain began, anything that could have caused an injury, your lifestyle, physical factors that might be causing pain, and any family history of similar problems.
After reading through your written history, your physician will ask more questions that relate to the information you have given. Your doctor may want to know if
- you had an injury, or surgery, to your neck at any time
- the pain radiates to other parts of your body, such as your arms
- if and where you are feeing numbness or weakness
- you have had problems walking
- you have had any problems with your bowels or bladder